KUMU tunnel

Kumu Art Museum is the main building of the Art Museum of Estonia, situated in Tallinn, Kadriorg (Weizenbergi 34 / Valge 1). Kumu houses two main collections of the Estonian art: classical collection from 18 century last decades until the end of the World War II and the Estonian art from the Soviet period of the years of 1945–1991. A winner of the international architectural contest was Finnish architect Pekka Vapaavuori. On 13 May 1994 a design contract was signed between the Art Museum and the architect in order to go on with the design. By 1999 a project concept was made not including the use of the national budget. The project was put forward by Pekka Vapaavuori, Engel OY, engineering firm Estkonsult from Estonia and Finnish engineering firm Olaf Granlund OY Soomest in cooperation with the Art Museum personnel. The building construction was started in 2002. Kumu Art museum opened on February 18, 2006. The construction area is 6430 m² and the land area is 36 206 m². The Art Museum of Estonia KUMU building is partially deepened into a limestone cliff with a number of the museum rooms located below ground.

We performed different waterproofing works on the request of the contractor’s request.


What we did

The Art Museum of Estonia KUMU building is deepened into a limestone cliff permeated with plenty of water veins. We performed waterproofing of a road tunnel and a pedestrian tunnel built in the course of building works.

What we used

For the tunnel waterproofing we used GRACE Preprufe/Bituthene system. The walls are waterproofed with the chemically active laminated membrane GRACE Preprufe 160R with the adhesive bond to concrete. The tunnel ceiling and opened walls were waterproofed with the laminated membrane GRACE Bituthene 4000. For protection we installed drainage mat Plasto-Fol P8.